Taken by Supriya Pava

Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Life of a New Yorker Goes to Holland!

Welcome to The Life of a New Yorker (.com), a blog that previously focused on all New York all the time. I am very excited to inform the readers of this blog that we are going to branch out of the usual NY events, venues, and artists to explore a special week long segment. An amazing opportunity  to visit The Netherlands has been presented to me and thus,
THE LIFE OF A NEW YORKER GOES TO HOLLAND!

Everyday for the next week I will be updating and keeping you all informed with what I've been learning and experiencing while in Amsterdam and Rotterdam (small city near Amsterdam).

I know you are all wondering how did I end up here in Europe. Well let me explain;


I work for the non-profit organization, Red Hook Initiative (RHI) which is based in Red Hook, Brooklyn and specifically caters to the people of that community. Their mission statement: "RHI believes that social change to overcome systemic inequities begins with empowered youth. In partnership with community adults, we nurture young people in Red Hook to be inspired, resilient, and healthy, and to envision themselves as co-creators of their lives, community and society."

As a Social Justice Fellow (SJF) I am learning to engage the community, promote resiliency and self sufficiency in Red Hook, as well as develop and improve my organizing skills. Below is a video that features some other organizers and gives a little insight into what I do..


SO HOW DID YOU GET TO EUROPE???
You are all still wondering I'm sure. 


Jherelle B, Tony S, and Alisa P. of Red Hook Initiative
On Friday, March 14th my supervisor and I were sent by RHI to join other organizers and a group of Pratt University students to embark upon a week long tour that would teach us about all the resiliency and flood protection methods that are being implemented in Rotterdam (which lies dangerously below the sea level). Of course with the recent tragedy of Hurricane Sandy which devastated the community of Red Hook, this work becomes more than relevant and absolutely necessary.
I hope you will find this segment of The Life of a New Yorker to be both entertaining and informative. Until next time, I will be learning, growing, and giving back to the community while living the ever changing and exciting Life of a New Yorker!

No comments:

Post a Comment